Hull City Ladies crashed out of the FAWNL Plate at the Quarter Final stage against Stourbridge, despite a strong and dominant performance against the FAWNL Midlands league leaders

A goal in each half from the visitors was enough, as they did everything required to block and deny on the goal line all City chances.

It was a fantastic start for Chris Hames’ side, great attacking play freed the inform Katie Thompson on the right, her effort dragged agonizingly wide of the goal. Moments later, Helen Lynskey found space in the box and her half-volleyed effort beat everyone but the recovering defender on the line

It was the away side who struck first, however. A Stourbridge free-kick was only half cleared, and as the ball was played back into the box, Alex Nicklin finished coolly to put Stourbidge ahead, against the run of play.

Hull picked up and brushed themselves down, not letting the tide turn against them despite the mini-set-back. Just three minutes later, a great attacking run by Hope Knight, beating the defender before unloading a wicked shot that could only be parried by the keeper. Laura Bartup pounced on the loose ball and made no mistake in putting the Tigresses level.

City had a few more half chances, with Stourbridge doing what they could to limit the damage going in at half time

HT 1-1

As the game resumed the Tigresses continued to press the advantage. Camped deep into the Stourbridge half, City just struggled to fashion any clear openings as the visitors dug in and defended brilliantly. It was only from set pieces that they were truly worried, and Tanser could have added the second, as her powerful goalbound header was tipped over by the imperious keeper

Again, looking to break down the blue wall, Jo Symington linked up play brilliantly on the left hand side before driving into the box. As she looked to strike there were some genuine shouts for a penalty – but to no avail.

Then Stourbridge broke. A good long ball over the top and a collision between forward and defender left Watters sprawled on the floor and clear to run through. Her cross found Deasy who slotted home at the back post. Protests were made about the foul, but fell on deaf ears.

Emily Smith, Racheal Ackroyd and Ellie Wilkinson were all brought on by Chris Hames as City pushed for an equaliser.

The game was set. Attack versus defence and which could win out. A flurry of chances ensued for the home side, roared on by their famous support:

Bartup picked the ball up on the edge of the area and unleashed a great shot but the keeper made another impressive save. As Laura had another chance minutes later, but her glancing header went agonisingly wide. 

Another great corner in the closing minutes, as Captain Ellie Tanser leaped ahead of everyone but her thumping header went inches over as Stourbridge held on to clinch the victory.

And that was that. 1-2 FT

Hull City Ladies now turn their attention to the FA Women’s National League with two back-to-back home games upcoming. Sunday 12th February against Middlesbrough and Sunday 19th February against Merseyrail.

Click here to purchase your advanced tickets!