Tigresses fall through penalty trap door in Qtr Final

Hull City Ladies faced off with league title rivals Barnsley, this time with the clubs attentions turned to the Plate.

The game also marked Katie Thompson’s last as a Tigress. 176 games and 51 goals later the long time fan favourite set her retirement for after the game.

It was a ding dong game of chances, mistakes and some moments of real quality. Tanser and Bott gave, and then restored, the lead, and Brookes late on provided a deserved equaliser.

Both sides attacked with power, but succumbed to a defensive mistake. Barnsley Clarke proved to be imperious as the difference maker between the sticks.

City’s opener came from Tanser, swooping in like the second goose (after Ackroyd had barged through an opening) and clipping an effort in to the goal.

Bott then restored the lead moments after Barnsley had equalised. I really don’t know what happened. 40 yards from goal a clear path opened up for Bott to drill the ball in along the floor.

Hunt had two good efforts from corners, one clipping off the bar, and Thompson was denied by Clarke in a 1v1.

HT 2-1

Barnsley early in the second half. Amy Wilson could do nothing to stop it going into the back of her own net after a cut back from Pierpont. 

Barnsley equaliser was much the same. A big cross from the right found Stuart arriving unmarked at the back post, before rolling it cools into the bottom corner.

City regained their composure and applied plenty of pressure. Tanser hitting the bar from a corner and Lynskey denied with desperate blocks.

Brookes scored the equaliser at the final whistle approached. Brilliant quick play on the counter set the young forward away and with a meep-meep she found herself in the box 1v1 before slotting home calmly.

Extra time

City managed to dominate the extra time but we’re unable to find the breakthrough. 

Lynskey had worked herself a good chance from Watters ball, but the angle proved just too tight.

Brookes had a great chance to repeat her earlier exploits when played through from Ackroyd, but her effort was again denied by Clarke. The resulting corner was again headed on to the bar.

But despite the dominate City didn’t make it count, and still relied on some outstanding last-ditch defending late on the save the game. Bob first flung herself high in the box to deny the chance and Watters blocked the second effort on the goal line.

Penalties then saw Barnsley go through to the semi-final.