A frustrating afternoon for the Tigresses as Hull City Ladies drew 1 – 1 against Yorkshire rivals Middlesbrough at the Easy Buy Stadium. 

Middlesbrough’s second half goal cancelled out the Tigress first half opener in a scrappy affair with key players Jo Symington and Ellice Jackman going off early in the game.

It was a good start for the home side, who dealt with an aggressive approach from the visitors, stringing together a number of decent chances in the early stages

City then took the lead on the 13th minute

A foul in the middle of the pitch was waived play on by the referee, and the ball was quickly moved from right to left by the City back line. A decisive pass in to the feet of Knight who wriggles and squirmed her way past three players before unleashing a wicked effort. Boro keeper, Dunn, could only parry and Thompson, for the 3rd time since the league restart in January, tapped home at the back post

City pressed their advantage further, first Lynskey and then Knight saw efforts expertly blocked by Boro bodies

As the half wound down, Wallace showed her growing experience, and that she wasn’t sleeping with the ball camped at the other end. Boro punched on a rare mistake at the back, and a powerful effort was stopped by the young keeper.

Both Jo Symington and Ellice Jackman were substituted with injuries at the end of the first half

Seconds before half-time, Helen Lynskey went close but the shot went inches wide, as Chris Hames’ side took a 1-0 lead at the interval.

After the restart, the game followed a similar trajectory to the first half. City had some quality and chances, Boro were battling and direct giving the hosts something to think about, throughout.

Emily Smith had a great chance to double City’s lead. Quick feet fund her the space inside the box, but her shot flashed narrowly wide of the apex of post and bar

And, as has been the case throught the season, City were to rue their dominance and missed chances.

Just moments later, a dangerous corner was swung in from Eve Marshall and the ball was poked in from Emma Foster to get Boro back into the game.

The Tigresses turned up the pressure, looking to get back infront!

A fantastic ball from Ellie Tanser into Hope Knight who has space on the left. Good skills from the winger, Knight beat her player and delivered a great ball into the box, but it just went agonisingly over the attackers.

Another dangerous corner from Eve, was met by a fierce header which hit the post and went out, to the relief of the home side.

Pushing for a winner and all three points, City had a flurry of chances but to no avail, with Lynskey and Knight going close.

With eight minutes to go, Lauren Wentworth came onto make her senior debut, after an impressive run for the City reserves this season

Back-to-back chances for HCL, which fell awkwardly for the attackers to really test the keeper. Firstly, a beautiful ball in from Knight reached the debutant Wentworth but at the last second bounced unkindly, the Number 39 did well to deal the bounce but the keeper made a comfortable save.

Full Time 1-1. Two points very much dropped by the home side

Next up from the HCL is Merseyrail at home on Sunday 19th February. Purchase tickets here!